This week, we watched a documentary about the how women and men are represented in advertisements. Usually, men are the symbol of power and assertiveness, whereas women are defenseless and innocent. These ads are actually the result of the perception of the society and culture. For example, in my point of view it is hard to imagine a man who poses as feminine behaviour. Maybe, this is acceptable for homosexuals.
I think, the obvious difference between men and women in advertisements can be seen in perfume ads.
Below you can see some examples of this sort of ads.
http://www.magazine-ads.com/per.html
On the other hand, there are considerable differences between male and female in sports. During a football game when a male player do not play well, fans say for him "he plays like a girl" which implies women are not as tough as men.
Women whose occupation is professional sports like tennis, athleticism and football need to emerge their feminity by showing themselves in ads. As a big motorsports fan, I follow Indy Car series and its only female driver Danica Patrick. Several years ago, I read an article about her and I was really surprised. Because in motorsports where male domination is doubtless, a female driver try to overtake her masculine counterparts. She has done so well so far. Like I wrote in some websites and magazines I saw Danica Patrick's ads which shows feminity and of course sexuality. On the otherside, during the race, you can not see her feminity under the helmet and race clothes.
Danica is a good example - she's expressing both extremely feminine and extremely masculine traits... I wonder if any of it is rather forced though or if she's happy with both gender roles she inhabits?
YanıtlaSil